Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Brrrrr...

It is extremely cold here all of a sudden. We are apparently in the midst of a massive cold front, encompasing all of Central America. And let me tell you..it is cold. Not just breezy. Not just a little chilly. COLD. I am sitting in the teacher´s room at school wearing three layers and a scarf AND gloves and I´m still cold. To add to the whole experience, none of the houses or buildings are insulated, so the cold wind just blows in through the walls. Even my CLOTHING gets cold, sitting in the drawers at the house. There is nothing less cozy then putting on freezing cold clothing.
The wind is particularly impressive. I have never heard wind blow like this. It sounds as if we are in the middle of a hurricane, except that there is no rain and the sun is shining. The trees are flopping around and the wind is howling at all hours. At night I worry about my bedroom (which is located in a little tower) blowing right off of the house. I fear I will wake up one night in a tree.
So far, however, I still have electricity! It´s surprising that, given the amount of wind, the power lines haven´t all blown away. I also am lucky to have the large wood stove in our house so I can heat it, if only a little bit. When the fire is going strong it helps some. Unfornunatly, fires always burn out eventually and then it´s cold again.
Well, the upside is that today the sun is shining brightly, even if one cannot feel the heat radiating from it. Yesterday it was cold, windy, AND rainy.
It´s amusing trying to walk around in this wind. Yesterday I walked to Santa Elena to buy groceries for Thanksgiving and thought I might blow right off the mountain. I´m exaggerating, perhaps. But my walking was altered considerably by the wind. Instead of walking in a straight line, I was weaving all over the place as the wind tossed me about. Plus I was walking with my head bent down and my body arched forward, as if I was pushing a large rock up a hill. It was all very amusing.
Ha-ha! We are all freezing our behinds off in lovely tropical Costa Rica! Ha-ha! Funny stuff.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Beka, This is my first attempt at even leaving a COMMENT on a blog, let alone blogging. I have been meaning to write back to your email for some time now, but being at sea for 185 days out of the year makes it a bit tough. Operations for us are hectic on this patrol, but I'm doing well. Currently in middle of the Bering Sea. On Thanksgiving. It's cold and bleak and foggy, but it's a million shades or luminous green or powdery grey or steel blue. I've just spent the last few minutes reading some of your entries from November and October (having only really just discovered your blog today). I LOVE reading about your adventures and I love laughing - aloud, much to the chagrin of my junior officers who know think that their Navigator is crazy - at your beautiful stories. I promise I'll send an email soon. But good luck with that Christmas play (what irony!) and know that I can certainly identify with your feelings of "Brrrr" Talk to you soon old friend!

4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home