Friday, October 06, 2006

Burning Ring of Fire

Tonight was our first "coffee house" at school. The coffee house is, in essence, an open mic night with food. Students and teachers perform, as do some local Monteverdian folks. It was well attended and enthusiastically enjoyed by all. The highlight, certainly, was a fire dancer who performed with flaming torches in the central grassy area of the school. It was awe-inspiring, to say the least...and also surreal, her racing flames spinning and looping against the backdrop of black, black night. Here the night is not just dark, it is beyond black. There are no streetlights and no glow from urban lights reflecting against the sky. Here the night is pitch.
So there she was, tossing her flames and dancing, with a group of student drummers banging along as background song. A ring of flame around a very calm, expressionless dancer.
Later, Tricia sang "Cambio, todos cambio..." a beautiful folk song that I think is of Costa Rica. It is such a lovely song. Too bad I cannot sing through the blog...if I could, it would go like "Cambio, todos cambio...CAAAMMMBBBIOOO todos cambio." See. It really isn't quite the same via the internet. But I promise you I am singing while I type.
After the show, we got a ride home from Lucky and Wolf, our neighbors. We climbed into flatbed of the truck with Benito and David and bounced along the road home. I had a thought while sitting there. Watching Michael bouncing along one side of the flatbed, myself on the other, the dark evening sky silhouetting his outline, the trees hanging down and over us as we pass...Benito to my left, hanging on to the back of the cabin of the truck, standing up and ducking the coming trees...David to my right resting with his eyes closed...and I thought to myself...How strange is life. Here I am riding in the back of a truck. Just two months ago I would spent Friday night out somewhere in Philly, a restaurant, the movies, a bar...and here I ride on the back of trucks. And listen to singing. And watch the fire lady dance.
How strange is life.
Buenos Noches.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And this Sunday during a gorgeous Mid Atlantic States fall late afternoon watching the televison broadcast of the Eagles v. Dallas game and the numerous "shots" of the Philadelphia skyline backlit by the sun disappearing in the west, I said to myself, "My darling daughter Rebekah, used to live in that city and now she really is in a "City of Brotherly Love . . ."

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home