Monday, October 02, 2006

Something I´ve been thinking about...

I´ve always been something of a luddite when it comes to technology in the classroom. I´ve certainly been circumspect about anything that folks claim will ¨revolutionize¨the way teachers teach...anything that claims to be a quick fix, super problem solving miracle for the classroom. The way I see it, no matter how many expensive laptops, SmartBoards, or digital cameras you may have in the room...education still comes down to good planning, active learning, and material that engages students. Yet even though I am no believer in the power of the flashy gadget, I certainly became accustomed to a certain level of technology available. Even though using a piece of technology might not be my first thought, I was used to being able to reach out for a computer,DVD player, camera, when needed. I was used to having laminators and calculators and plenty of microscopes.
And that is why this place, my new home, my new job...is so very amazing. I never fail to be impressed and awed by how educators here do so MUCH with so LITTLE. We have no laminators, no DVD player, one VCR (that doesn´t work), a handful of working computers that often do not work, almost no calculators or microscopes, and just three scales for the use of the whole school (none of which work very well). There are no digital cameras, no color printers, and one photocopier that overheats when you use it for too long. There are limited supplies for science classes overall.
And yet. And yet! The students here are receiving a superb education. They are taught by teachers who are willing to find or build what they need, who are able to be creative and inventive and go the extra mile to make something work. Teachers here are able to pull together science units using whatever they can find, able to teach touch-typing even using just a handful of computers, able to teach biology using a few working microscopes, able to pull together lessons that are engaging and fun and interesting using just what is available in the woods behind the school. You learn to problem solve as a teacher- to adapt lessons, to pinch hit, to build what needs to be built.
The other day I called all of my students parents asking if anyone had any wax paper I could use for science. Luckily, one family actually had a roll they had brought back from the States!! I was thrilled and so grateful. That was a very special roll of wax paper!
So, to the folks working at my school...thanks. You guys are awesome. You inspire me every day.
And to the folks I worked with for six years... the memory of your hard work, your dedication, your friendship, your dedication to progressive education, continue to inspire me every day. You guys taught me how to teach. That is a gift that I will carry with me forever.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know you are inspiring all of us when your enthusiam for teaching is underscored and enhanced by finding a roll of wax paper. Goodness knows what would happen if you came across some alumunium foil, instead of an Armadillo . . .

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebekah,

I want you to know that we are all enjoying hearing about you and your adventures. It is all so familiar to me. I totally know what you mean by laughing. If you got angry at the inefficiency, you'd spend most of your time brooding, and it's too much of an opportunity there to not be spent in gratitude. How is your Spanish coming along? What are your thoughts on faith?

take care, Meg

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home