Sunday, September 10, 2006

Dia de Los Ninos

Friday was "Dia de Los Ninos," or Children's Day, a holiday here in Costa Rica. We had a half-day of fun and games at a nearby farm. I was in charge of the sack race, always a popular pastime. Students laughed uproarisly and hopped and fell all over the place. It was great. Somehow the students convinced me to join one of the races and I discovered that I am somewhat lacking in the Sack Race Skills department. I was thoroughly beaten by a ten year old. She had crossed the finished line while I hopped helpless around the half-way point, shouting, "This is really HARD. This is so much harder than it LOOKS." All the while, students laughed and laughed.
Some of the other events included a water-balloon toss, a Dizzy-Lizzy race (where you put your head on the bat and spin around in circles) a frisbee relay, and one very amusing race that involved blowing into a cup of flour. I was very concerned someone might get flour in their eyes. Fortunatly, no one was blinded. They did, however, spend the rest of the day walking around with flour in their hair.
We finished the round of activities with some group/cooperative puzzle type of games. In one of these, students had to hold on to each other in a group and stand with the least amount of total feet on the ground. The teachers did this as well. We (the middle and upper school teachers) managed to put together a group in which only four feet were on the ground with nine total people (Ann and I sat on the shoulders of some others). We thought about possibly stacking all on top of each other, like a pile of pancakes, but we were concerned that the person at the bottom might loose their eyeballs (as in: they might come shooting out of their head. You never know).
Then we all gathered and ate many yummy treats.
We also sang "Free to be You and Me," which I love. I know, I know, it's hooky.. but you gotta love the sentiment..."In this land every boy, grows to be his own man, in this land every girl grows to be her own woman...Take my hand, come with me, where the children are free, take my hand, come along and will ride...TO A LAND, where the river runs free, TO A LAND, through the green country, TO A LAND, where the horses run free, and You and Me are Free to Be, You and ME!
Seems like that song could be about this magical Monteverde...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which reminds me of the old song about that City by the Bay . . ."Be sure to wear some flour (flowers) in your hair . . ." Love, Dad

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beka!!
I love that song too. I still remember the record album cover had illustrations of little kids forming the letters by standing on their heads and whatnot. And we used to listen to it laying on our backs on my living room floor. Remember?
I also liked the song "william wants a doll". Very progressive!
Love, Sandra

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home