Thursday, August 31, 2006

Scorpions and Sloths


Yesterday was an eventful day, in terms of wildlife sightings. Two brown sloths were visible in a tree near our house, all curled up and cuddling with each other. They didn't move much, but they were awfully cute, huddled together for protection from the rain. At one point, Michael saw them grooming each other. This was our first sloth sighting!
In an equally exciting but markedly less cute event, we also saw our second scorpion. He (or she?) was crawling across the window sill in our bedroom, around 8:00 p.m. I was upstairs in the bedroom and called out, simply, "SCORPION!!" and then found myself unable to move or say anything else, as I was paralyzed with fear. Michael came bounding up the stairs with a glass jar and chased it around a bit while I lept up on the dresser and wimpered. I occasionally shouted helpful things like, "Don't let it sting you! Be careful!" Somehow he managed to get the little bugger into a jar and then closed the lid and I continued with my helpful advice saying, "Don't take the lid off! Whatever you do...don't take the lid off!!"
Thank goodness Michael has me around to offer such wise advice in an emergency. Ha.
Anyway, once it was safely in the jar, Michael put it in the freezer, where it spent the night and slowly froze to death. Cruel, possibly, but now we have a dead scorpion around that we can look at with a magnifying glass and take pictures of.
I have included one such picture here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I ever tell you about my friend Amanda who had a pet bird named Murray? Well, one day Murray kicked the bucket and Amanda's parents put the birdie-corpse in the freezer. Murray somehow stayed in the freezer for YEARS, until one fateful sleepover night when four of us 12-year-old TPSers came across him in our search for ice cream! Yuck! Murray-cicle. :) Miss you, Beka. Love, Alicia

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home