Sunday, September 05, 2010

Assorted Interesting food items







This week we've been enjoying discovering all sorts of unusual Spanish delights, including a culinary journey we like to call "Michael and Rebekah's Adventures in Seafood in a Can." Here in Spain, many types of seafood are sold in cans-- the small type, of the sardine-can variety. The doubtful among you may scoff at the possibility that something tasty can come from a can-- but I can attest, there are many canned examples of deliciousness here in our new home. Our first experience was the baby squid (pictured here). The squids are so small, five fit inside a can the size of a typical sardine can. We saw this box at "El Corte Ingles," the amazingly-tempting-but-too-expensive-but-hard-to-resist grocery story at the bottom of the department store of the same name. Seeing baby squid in a can, how could we NOT buy it? We had to try it. And-- I know you won't believe me-- but it was UNBELIEVABLE. One of the best taste experiences, I would say, OF MY LIFE. They are simply prepared-- just canned in olive oil, then we flavored them with a bit of lemon and salt and pepper. DE-vine. I know, I know. You're thinking chewy, right? This squid was not chewy. It melted in your mouth like a pat of squid-flavored butter. Michael and I each took a bite and then looked at each other and said, "Oh My God." Oh my god.
And this unique experience is available for less than 1 euro per can!
After the Joy of Squid, we moved on, the next night, to little slices of what I think are octopus in "Galicia" sauce. This was not good. This was inedible. The fish itself was okay, but the sauce was good awful.
Up next? Little mini sardines. AMAZING. Best sardines ever. Bought the can at the cheapo corner store for 45 cents. Perfect with a little bit of mustard, some bread, some wine. Dinner A La Rebekah and Michael's.
Then? How about little baby whole octopus? Delicious? Yes. Perfectly prepared, not chewy at all, wonderful? Yes. Not as good as the baby squid, though. Nothing yet has topped the Baby Squid Experience, but the little sardines came close.
I have also included here a picture of these incredible fresh figs we bought at the Santa Catarina market, just a few blocks from our house. This was actually our first shopping trip to Santa Catarina because it closes at 2:30 and we never seem to be able to make it there on time. But what a market! Beautiful fish and produce-- finally found what seem to be some good eggs-- olives and anchioves and CHEESE. We stood at the cheese counter for some time, holding our number, waiting to be called, staring at the display and feeling both thrilled and overwhelmed by the plethora of cheese choice. Ended up with two big hunks of something-or-other that was delicious. And then the olives! I've included here a picture of the Giant Olives that we bought that taste so amazing, you feel like you've died and gone to Olive Heaven.
Oh, yes, I also started my new teaching job this week- but I figured that was no where near as interesting as Seafood in a Can.
Otherwise things are good. The temperature has dropped, making the city quite pleasant to walk around. I've started running down by the beach and/or port so that I can look at the hills and the sea-- and the palm trees! Have I mentioned the palm trees? Next post I will put up some pictures of parks with palm trees...

3 Comments:

Blogger QOPP said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Abby said...

I'm coming to visit you and we're eating canned squid.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous ann lopata said...

i'm coming too and looking forward to helping to cook some good stuff although I am not sure about the squid and octopus...they are just so ugly :-)

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home