Monday, January 29, 2007

A funny thing happened on the way to the airport...

I just returned from my trip to LA to see the new baby Murry! I will post some pictures later of that small adventure, however, I wanted to mention a few entertaining things that happened on Thursday, the day I left.
During math class there were two cows lose in the recess yard. It was quite amusing. The cows were running like mad around the field while an unfortunate farmer tried desperatly to catch them. He stumbled around in his rubber boots, running after them with his rope ready in front of him. It was a rodeo at our school! The more he chased, the faster they ran. I didnĀ“t realize cows could move that quickly. After some time, another farmer arrived and tried to approach the cows from the opposite side of the field. This only served to stress the cows out further, so they ran like mad into the woods. I do not know what happened after that. Perhaps they are still wandering around the woods, waiting to surprise some unsuspecting birder trying to find a quetzal in the tree tops. A wandering cow would be quite an unexpected sight in the forest.
Needless to say, my lesson on metric conversion was put on hold so we could all watch the cow chasing. I think it was time well spent.
The other amusing thing that happened occured during my van ride to the airport in San Jose (a four hour ride!). At a point along the tattered and small Pan American Highway, a car in front of us stalled on a steep hill. The Pan American, despite being the major highway in all of Central America, has only one lane each way in many places here in Costa Rica, so we were trapped. The other lane was all stopped because of construction and we were stuck behind the stalled car. So- much to my surprise, my driver got out of the van and went with one other man and proceeded to PUSH the car up the hill. Two guys. And this was no small car- it was a giant SUV. And they PUSHED IT. Up a HILL.
I was pretty impressed. Kind of makes me feel like a wimp for struggling to carry the groceries up the steps to my house.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But Beka you are jogging up and down those hills from time to time.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home