Saturday, May 27, 2006

A discussion while standing on the corner

Last week Greg and I were discussing the creative process, while standing on the corner by the 7-11. We were debating the "why" of creative expression: what is the ultimate purpose of one's art? Do we create for public consumption? Do we create in order to recieve accalaides and praise? Do we create to change the world? Do we create simply because we cannot avoid creating, that it is some essential element of our very existence?
Later that weekend, I saw the abysmal film "Art School Confidential." It is really, really awful. It did, however, offer one line of wisdom that I thought I would pass on, as a final response to the 7-11 corner discussion.
In the film, a character says, "Why do we create art? We create art in order to enjoy that sweet narcotic moment of creative bliss."
I like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home