Thursday, May 25, 2006

Notes from a woman who never stopped talking to herself

So here is my blog.
I am not, by all accounts, a particularly computer-literate type so I hope I will not wreck too much technological havoc while attempting to post my entries. One would imagine that it would be hard to mess up something as clear cut as these Blog Spot forms, however, in the ten minutes I have been working on this I have already accidentally posted a giant picture of my head and also posted a blank entry (see above).
So, please forgive. I will try my best.
I am also a poor speller. To say that I am a "poor" speller is an understatement. There is no word I can think of to truly capture the ineptitude of my spelling. Actually, there ARE a few words I can think of that might capture it but sadly, I can spell none of them. ( I just asked Michael to clarify the spelling of "ineptitude").
So! To the blog...I am writing this for several reasons. The primary one is that the Blog system seemed a smart one to use as a vehicle for sending loved ones stories about my upcoming relocation to Costa Rica. Folks who want to know what I'm up to down there can just log on and read the latest news. The secondary reason is that I am dying for a forum to blab all of my passionatly held beliefs about education and teaching. I am a woman of strong opinions. I enjoy discussing these opinions AT LENGTH, as anyone who has been the recipient of my many-page-long e-mailed tirades about some such teaching matter would attest. If worked up enough about something, I could conceivably ramble on for days.
I have a sneaking suspicion my friends are growing a bit weary of my logorrhea.

A few brief statements about me: I am a teacher. I am a playwright. I am only 5 feet tall. I was born in Delaware. I watch my students and think to myself: humanity is beautiful. There is goodness everywhere. There is sometimes more wisdom in a ten-year-old than in a sixty-year-old. Wait- let me rephrase: There is OFTEN more wisdom in a child than an adult. Children see and understand what adults ignore and forget. Children have not lost their sense of wonder at all that is glorious about life.
This is what Antoine de Saint-Exupery taught me in The Little Prince. And it's damn true.
The first group of children I ever worked with were at Rittenhouse Day Camp in Delaware. I was 16 and they were 7 year-old-boys. I'll never forget the first day we found a toad by the creek. We watched that toad for what felt like a lifetime. Every little pair of 7-year-old eyes were glued on that toad. Hardly a word was spoken, save for the occasional "ooh!" or "wow!" And this was the reaction to ANY toad or bird or interesting rock we came along during the whole of the camp. They never got tired of just watching, mouths agape, some cool THING.
I wish I lived in a world where we were all like that, all the time. A sense of wonder! That is what life is all about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home