Thursday, September 13, 2007

Happy New Year!

Last night we had an interesting multi-cultural experience of sorts... We went to a Rosh Hashanah dinner at a restaurant here in Monteverde (well, in the village of Cerro Plano, to be exact). There was yummy food and apples and honey and a table full of people speaking Hebrew. Michael and I were, in fact, two of only four non-Israeli people there. The restaurant is owned by Israelis, but all of the folks at the dinner were actually just Isreali tourists who happened upon Monteverde and happened to find this dinner. And, amazingly enough, most of them didn´t already know each other but were chatting it up like ol´ buddies.
So-- imagine this scene, if you will. Michael and I, at a restaurant in Costa Rica, with the surprising name of Moon Shiva (not a Spanish name OR a Hebrew one), surrounded by people speaking Hebrew. And all of us addressing the waitresses in Spanish. And then speaking to each other in English. Three languages at once! Kind of odd and impressive.
We, of course, had no idea what anyone was saying in Hebrew. I was QUITE pleased, though, when I wrote out a little message in my poor Hebrew- (L´shana Tovah, transliterated into English) - on the sign in book, I had an Isreali check my letters and spelling. I was actually somewhat close! I only made two small mistakes! Imagine that. Guess those many, many, many years of Hebrew school taught me something after all!
Will post pictures of the event later today...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that's an amazing "New Year's" moment!

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home